Monday, August 08, 2011

Day One Complete

Tomorrow will be a review with the surgeon of the MRI's and X-rays taken today.

The day started with a 7:45AM shuttle ride to the facility. The driver, Ali, is observing Ramadan. We talked about diversity, culture and tolerance.  And the Phillies.

I was told regarding my first day to not worry about breakfast as it would be provided. Upon arrival I was ushered into check-in. Some forms filled out and signed I was handed off to technician Debbie. She took vitals and copies of my EMG reports. I mentioned I was a bit peckish, she said I needed to see the nurse practitioner.

Maria came in and reviewed my medical history forms. Included in this was "nerve man", a map of the body's neural network. I was asked to annotate pain, numbness, pins&needles and burning. As I noted all the regions in the lower limbs she was confused.
"I thought you were here for cervical, this is mostly regarding lumbar."
I knew going in that I am a tough case. The MRI's were subtle as are the symptoms. But I was confident, based on the opinion of my primary care physician and everything I'd read and seen, that I am a cervical stenosis patient. Now was the time for calm advocacy. I explained and she listened.

As we moved forward to physical tests she noted some hypersensitivity in my arms. A reflex test and my leg shot up. I think she exclaimed, "Wow! That's definitely your neck." Validation. She completed her review with the comment that, though she's not sure they can help me, she felt the surgeons were more bold. She led me to the cafeteria/lounge and I snacked while waiting for a driver.

I was then given a ride to Penn Radiology for a new MRI (the previous imaging was over 6 months old) and X-rays. Very prompt and professional. I got the feeling that LSI patients were given priority, exactly the reason why I chose to work with this group. On completion of the imaging I was shuttled back to the LSI facility. Lunch was provided and the disc with my films was taken by the driver, Kevin. He said someone would let me know what was next. I met some of the other patient families and everyone was very positive about the experience and results so far. Later an administrator came through checking people's status. I let her know I wasn't sure and she promptly returned with my appointment card for tomorrow. I called for a shuttle to the King of Prussia Mall. It's enormous! I walked until I couldn't and ended up at TGIFridays in party mode.

All this time, in the back of my mind, I'm thinking of the 2011 Santa Clara Vanguard. Percussion and guard are doing great, one more week to clean brass and visual and jack the GE scores. Take it home, Santa Clara.

  . . well, that and the engineered financial "collapse" . .

I'm prepared for whatever the consensus is tomorrow. Worst case, I'll know more than I do now. Overall, a very positive day and Mrs. Field's cookies for dessert.

No comments: